For this Child we have prayed

For this Child we have prayed

Sunday, August 10, 2014

I have 24 kids

            Now that I have put myself out there through this blog, I feel like I should tell you a little more about who I am.  I am blessed! I have a husband who loves the Lord and is constantly pointing me back to Him.  I have a home complete with a vegetable garden.  I have a church where I belong.  I have more friends than I can count.  I have 2 jobs that I love and I am totally and completely passionate about. 
I went to college to be a teacher and have never, not once, doubted that calling on my life.  From the age of 5, I could tell you I wanted to be a mom and a teacher.  By high school, those goals had expanded to 4: wife, mom, teacher, and someone who points children to the Lord.  I am so blessed that God placed such a strong calling on my life.  I became even more blessed on June 6, 2013 when I got a call from the headmaster of my (and Will’s) alma matter offering me my dream job.  One of the few big life decisions I’ve made this way, but I said yes before I even checked with Will!  I love this job and can feel God working through me every day as I plan with my amazing coworkers whom I respect and as I teach these precious children God has entrusted me with and to whom he has given a thirst for learning.  I love teaching!
It wasn’t until recently when God opened a door to wedding planning.  I always loved weddings, but thought of them more as a hobby.  I won’t go into all of the details of how Weddings By Carter began, but every step of the way it fit perfectly with my passion for teaching.  People often ask me which one I would rather do, but I cannot answer because I am so passionate about both of them.  I guess during the week I would rather be teaching and on weekends I would rather be working weddings. 
One of the things I love about teaching children is the same thing Jesus did.  They have faith like a child and are able to accept things that adults may overthink.  Ever since my first year of teaching in 2010, I have been on my personal version of Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?  “Mrs. Fawcett, how many kids do you have?”, “Are you pregnant?”, “Why don’t you have kids?”, “When are you going to have kids?”, or, my favorite, “Mrs. Fawcett, when you do have a baby, will you name it after me?” 
When I was teaching in a public school, my answer was “I do have kids! I have 24 of you!”  Now that I’m blessed to be teaching in a Christian school, my answer is a very honest one.  “That is up to God.” 
On Halloween last year, one sweet girl asked me why I didn’t have kids to go home and carve a pumpkin with.  I responded with a laugh and, “You’ll have to talk to God about that one!”  Immediately, she announced to the other girls at the table that they had to stop and pray right then.  And she did.  And she continued to pray every morning in advisee with her small group of girls.  Faith like a child.  I pray that God will give me this faith. 
Another time, with only a week and a half left in the school year, they started asking again.  One panicked little girl begged me, “Mrs. Fawcett, last year our teacher went on maternity leave.  Please don’t go on maternity leave and leave us the last week of school!”  Oh, if only babies came that quickly! 

I am praying that our children will come in God’s perfect timing and, meanwhile, He will give me faith like a child to continue to pray for our precious babies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment