For this Child we have prayed

For this Child we have prayed

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wait, what was that? I didn’t hear you the first 14 times

      I love teaching at my school.  I love it more than I ever thought possible to love a job.  Teaching there is everything I dreamed of while sitting in the ECCE block at Samford University and day dreaming about my perfect classroom.  Of the many things I love (or “am obsessed with” might be a truer choice of words!) about teaching here, my favorite may be teaching Bible.  I had many wonderful Bible teachers during my time as a student there and Will and I still talk about the theology our outstanding teachers taught us. 
                Ok, this is where I have to remind myself to stay on topic, because I could go on about this topic for a while. 
                Anyways, the story I’m going to tell you today is about one of my Bible classes.  Each lesson has a scripture memory verse that goes with it.  Each child was coming up to my desk one at a time to recite their scripture memory for that week- Psalm 37: 1-9.  I would listen, check them word for word on the rubric, and give them a grade.  It literally took FIFTEEN times of hearing this passage before my ears perked up and I thought, “Hmm, maybe God is trying to tell me something!” 
                “Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.  Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.  Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, you vindication like the noonday sun.  Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.  Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret- it leads only to evil.  For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.”
                Doesn’t the Bible say that out of the mouths of babes, He has ordained His praise? Well, that was certainly true that afternoon! 
                That is a hard challenge to rise to though.  It’s one I’ve spent a lot of time mulling over and talking with my students about.  There is a BIG difference between not worrying and not preparing.  To say “Oh, I’m not worried about getting a job as a teacher, so I’ll just sit here and hang out with my friends instead of going to college or delivering resumes and I’m sure God will send one my way” would be foolish.  As would deciding, “You know, I would really like to book more weddings, but I don’t feel like investing any money in marketing right now, so I’m sure God will just send brides to me.”  Don’t get me wrong- God can TOTALLY do that- and anything else he pleases!  We serve a God who is all-powerful and all-knowing and (thankfully!) also very good and very loving.  He desires good things for us, His children.  Often times, however, the way we get those things is following the path he has carefully planned for us that includes using our talents and maximizing the opportunities He has given us. 
                I love this part- “take DELIGHT in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart”!  As I talk about in one of my other entries, I prayed for JOY through this struggle to replace my fear.  God wants His children to delight in Him! Once we truly do that, our desires will be in line with His and we will want for ourselves what He desires for us.  The catch is none of us are perfect so this will always be a struggle with our sinful human nature, but we should still aim for it.  Take JOY in the Lord!  Do not worry because He has a PERFECT plan, even if we can’t understand it right now.  As humans, we want what we want when we want it.  As it relates to fertility struggles, I believe the Biblical response is to delight yourself in the Lord, prepare by doing what you can do (more entrees coming on this topic!), and then wait and trust in His perfect timing.  Don’t worry about it- but do prepare for it.  By delighting in the Lord, I want to use the talents He’s given me.  He hasn’t called me to be a mom yet (even though that’s how I really want to use my talents!), so I find joy using my talents working with kids in my classroom, at church, and with friends and family. 

                Alright, Abba, I am committing my way to you.  Help me to be still before you and wait patiently on you.  Help me to refrain from anger and to place my hope in you.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment